Strawberry Tea Biscuits
- 4 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- 3 eggs (2 to add to the mixture, one to glaze)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 475F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder with a whisk.
- Cut in the cold butter using two knives, until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add chopped strawberries and gently mix into batter.
- Place mixture onto a floured counter or cutting board and knead lightly until it comes together as a dough.
- Roll out the dough until approximately 1-inch-thick and use juice cup or round cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Alternatively, you can roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 1 inch thick, and cut into 10-12 triangles.
- Beat the remaining one egg in a small bowl and use pastry brush to glaze each scone.
- Sprinkle with sugar (I use Sugar In The Raw natural turbinado sugar for topping as it’s a coarser sugar) and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool and serve with fresh strawberries or jam and Fussell’s cream or fresh whipped cream.