Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
A tried and true recipe from my own mum's collection. Also makes a wonderful cake (see additional notes at the bottom for these instructions).
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
¼ teaspoon of allspice
2 ½ cups grated raw carrots
1 cup drained of crushed pineapple
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Note: Coconut and nuts also work well in this recipe. If adding these ingredients use: 1/2 cup of moist flaked coconut or 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts and decrease the grated raw carrots to 2 cups.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
8 ounces of softened cream cheese
¼ cup of butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3 ½ cups of sifted icing sugar
Carrot Cupcake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl beat eggs until frothy.
- Gradually beat in sugars and oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Stir into egg mixture.
- Stir in carrots, pineapple, and vanilla.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 26-28 lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove and place on wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in enough icing sugar to give smooth, spreadable consistency.
Cake Note: To make layered cake, divide above mixture into two greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
For a 13x9 pan, bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, and for a tube pan, bake at 350F for 60 minutes.